A meditation by Pastor David McFarland
” I call as my heart grows faint”. Psalm 61:2
How wonderful prayer is!
- It transports us from the dry deserts and cold wastes and deserted islands of life. “from the ends of the earth I call to you”.
- Prayer lifts us from the raging torrents, deep valleys and sinking sands of life. “lead me to the rock that is higher than I”.
- Prayer carries us from the exposed battlefield and enemy territory of life. “For you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the foe.”
- Prayer bears us from the wanderings and homelessness of life. ” I long to dwell in your tent forever and take refuge in the shelter of your wings.”
- It moves us from leaning on the poverty of materialism and earthly ambition. “you have given me the heritage of those who fear your name.”
- Prayer delivers us from all that is merely natural and ordinary and quantified in terms of earthly life. “Increase the days of the king’s life, his years for many generations.”
- It uplifts us from all the shallowness, unhappiness and and disappointments of life. “Then will I ever sing praise to your name and fulfil my vows day after day.”